Julio Alvarez, M.D., F.A.C.S., R.P.V.I.
Dr. Alvarez did his undergraduate studies in Miami, Florida. He received his M.D. from Ross University of Medicine and completed five years of post-doctoral surgical training at The State University of New York Consortium Hospitals in Buffalo, N.Y. He was a member of the surgical attending staff at the Veteran's Affairs Hospital in Buffalo and was a partner South Towns Surgical Associates prior to forming Vascular Associates of WNY. Since 1987, Dr. Alvarez has been active in hospital affairs and has served as President of the medical staff at South Buffalo Mercy Hospital.
In 2006, at the Eastern Virginia Medical School Vascular and Transplant Specialists, Dr. Alvarez completed an Endovascular Fellowship. This training allows the use of minimally invasive vascular techniques and comprehensive treatment of venous diseases. Also, he was one of the first surgeons in Western New York to offer the VNUS closure procedure for elimination of varicose veins.
Professional Societies and Committees
• Divisional Chief of Vascular Surgery-Mercy Hospital of Buffalo
• Diplomat - The American Board of Surgery
• Erie County Medical Society
• Medical Society of the State of New York
• Fellow - American College of Surgeons
• WNY Chapter American College of Surgeons
• Buffalo Surgical Society
• Vascular Society of Western New York
• Eastern Vascular Society
• SVU - Society for Vascular Ultrasound
• International Society for Vascular Surgery